The History of the
Watertown Police Department
In March 1879, the City of Watertown was formally organized. In 1880, John Johnson was appointed as the first Town Marshal of Watertown and he served in that capacity until 1882. Watertown’s next Town Marshall was O.F. Vaux and he was succeeded by J.J. McMath in 1883. On June 16, 1884, the first county court house and jail was completed. Whether or not the jail was also used by the city is not known. Most likely that was the case as Watertown was quite small, being in existence for less than 10 years.
Watertown’s next Town Marshal was James Wiley in 1885. George Carpenter succeeded Wiley and served as the Town Marshal between 1886 through 1888. On May 26, 1890, the first City Council meeting was held in the new City Hall which was located on West Kemp Avenue. The City Jail was located in City Hall and H.D. Bennett served as Town Marshall (1889 through 1891). The population of Watertown in 1890 was 2,672. The first Watertown Police Department was located in City Hall on the corner of West Kemp and 1st Street West. Today, the Hi-Rise apartment building occupies that location.
From 1891 through 1909, there were fifteen more individuals who served as Town Marshals. The population of Watertown in 1900 was 3,352. In 1909, Marshal John Keegan was appointed as Watertown’s first Chief of Police. Chief Keegan served as Chief of Police until 1912. Over the next twelve years, from 1912 through 1924, the Watertown Police Department experienced eight Chiefs of Police with the average tenure being less than two years.
William Olson was appointed Chief of Police in 1924 and he served in that capacity until 1932. On July 29, 1930, under the direction of Chief Olson, the Watertown banks purchased a Thompson sub-machine gun for the Police Department for protection against raids. The Watertown Police Department still maintains custody of that machine gun. Prior to Chief Olson’s administration, the tenure of previous Chiefs was short-lived.
In 1932, L.P. Johnson was appointed Watertown Chief of Police and he served in that capacity until 1936. During the 1930s, the population of Watertown grew to 10,214. Between 1932 and 1936, the Watertown Police Department consisted of eight officers and Chief Johnson. The first known photographs were taken of the Watertown Police Department and are displayed below:
In 1936, M.R. “Mickey” Downs was appointed Chief of Police. Under Chief Downs’s administration, the police department received two-way radio communications on March 5, 1940. Watertown’s population in 1940 grew to 10,617. Chief Downs served as Chief of Police until 1946 at which time he was succeeded by Floyd LeVake. The police department consisted of ten uniformed police officers. In 1946, the third known photograph of the Watertown Police Department was taken and it is displayed below:
Chief LeVake was Chief of Police until 1955. He was succeeded by Claude Patterson. The fourth photograph of the Watertown Police Department was taken in 1955. The population of Watertown was 12,699. The location of the Watertown Police Department was still at the corner of West Kemp Avenue and 1st Street West. The size of the police department grew to thirteen officers under Chief Paterson.
In 1961, the fifth photograph of the Watertown Police Department was taken. Claude Paterson was Chief of Police. The population of Watertown was 14,077 and the police department grew to fourteen police officers.
Chief Patterson retired as Chief of Police in 1963 and he was succeeded by Clifford Englund who served as Acting Chief until 1964. Thereafter, Lloyd Strain was appointed Chief of Police in 1964. On October 24, 1966, the old City Hall and Police Department on West Kemp was in the process of being torn down. At this time, the Watertown Police Department was relocated to the City Auditorium located at the corner of Broadway and 2nd Avenue South.
In 1966, the sixth photograph of the Watertown Police Department was taken. The building displayed in the background of the photograph is readily identifiable as the City Auditorium Building located on Broadway and 2nd Avenue South. The police department and city jail at that time was located in the basement of the building. The size of the police department remained at fourteen officers and Chief Strain.
Chief Strain served as Chief of Police until 1970 at which time Alvin Freesemann was appointed Chief of Police. In 1970, the population of Watertown decreased to 13,388. However, the size of the police department grew to twenty officers under Chief Freesemann.
In the fall of 1973, the construction of the Codington County Detention Center was initiated. The seventh photograph of the Watertown Police Department was taken this same year. In the photograph depicted below, the department members are seen standing on the stage in the City Auditorium Building.
Chief Freesemann remained Chief of Police until 1975, at which time Lloyd Strain was reappointed Chief of Police. In 1975, the Watertown Police Department moved from the basement of the City Auditorium Building to the Codington County Detention Center located at 119 South Maple. The total cost of the building was $675,000. In July 1975, area residents had the opportunity to tour the new facility which housed the police, sheriff, highway patrol, jail facilities, and the civil defense center. On October 26, 1975, the 911 Emergency Telephone Number was operational in Watertown. This same year Watertown Police Department created the position of Detective.
In 1975, the eighth photograph of the department was taken. In the photograph depicted below, officers are seen standing on the access ramp in front of the new Watertown Police Department. The size of the police department grew to twenty-three officers and Chief Strain. There were twelve Patrol Officers at that time. In September 1975, the department hired two female civilian clerks who worked in the Records Office. Additionally, in January 1976, another female was hired to serve as the Chief’s Secretary. Depicted in the photograph below, were two female Meter Maids who worked for the department from 1965 through 1978. Additionally, the position of Animal Control Officer was created in approximately 1975 and came under the direction of the police department.
In October 1978, the parking meters in the uptown area were removed. Therefore, the Meter Maids’ jobs became obsolete and the positions were eliminated. In November 1978, Chief Strain was appointed to Safety Director and served in that capacity until 1980. Then Dennis Eisnach was appointed Safety Director in 1980 and served in that capacity for less than one year. In 1980, LaVerne McPeek was appointed Chief of Police. At that time, the population of Watertown grew to 15,649.
In January 1982, the ninth photograph of the department was taken. The size of the police department grew to twenty-six officers under Chief McPeek. There were fourteen Patrol Officers at that time. The females depicted in the photograph below are civilian clerks who worked in the Records Office. One of the females served as Records Manager and the Chief’s Secretary.
Five years later in February 1987, the tenth department photograph was taken. The size of the force remained consistent. There were fourteen Patrol Officers.
Chief Larson retired in 1998 and was succeeded by Terry Lohr. In 2000, the population of Watertown increased to 20,237. Under Chief Lohr’s administration, the department continued to embrace the concept of community policing, and the following programs were initiated: Crime Free Multi-housing Program, DARE, Adopt-A-School Program, Explorer Program, and the School Resource Program. With the initiation of the School Resource Officer Program, an additional officer was hired which increased the size of the police force to thirty officers. The rank and file included Chief Lohr, two Assistant Chiefs, three Captains, four Sergeants, three Detectives, one Juvenile Officer, one School Resource Officer and sixteen Patrol Officers.
In addition to the new community policing programs, Chief Lohr initiated a range of services available to the citizens of Watertown, to include the following: Traffic Accident Reconstruction & Investigation, Crime Scene Investigation, Hostage Negotiation Team, and Internship Program.
Although the services made available to the public significantly increased under Chief Lohr’s administration, with the exception of the addition of the School Resource Officer’s position, the number of Patrol Officers remained the same—sixteen Patrol Officers.
Between 1998 and 2002, the number of Dispatchers increased from three to eight. Prior to this time, Sergeants performed the dispatch function. The 911 Dispatch Center became its own operation with its own budget. A Computer Aided Dispatch System (CAD) was implemented. With the implementation of the CAD, the police department gained the ability to automatically track the number of calls for service. The 911 Dispatch Center also sought out partnerships and began entering into contractual agreements to provide 911 dispatch services to neighboring counties. The 911 Dispatch Center provided services for Codington, Day, and Hamlin Counties.
The civilian staff of the police department remained the same and included the following: one Records Manager/Chief’s Secretary, two Records Clerks, one Animal Control Officer.
Under Chief Lohr’s administration, the tragic events of September 11, 2001 occurred. Homeland Security became a priority for police departments nationwide. On November 19, 2001, the President and Congress enacted the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (ATSA) which established TSA as a new Federal agency. The ATSA included ordering the deployment of law enforcement personnel authorized to carry firearms at each airport security passenger-screening location to ensure passenger safety and national security. In essence, this required the police department to deploy sufficient law enforcement officers to the airport whenever flights arrived or departed from the Watertown Airport.
Between 1998 and 2005, there were no department group photographs taken. Chief Lohr retired as Chief of Police in February 2005 and Assistant Chief Randy Resick was appointed Acting Chief of Police.
On June 13, 2005, Joanna Vitek was appointed Chief of Police. The size of the police force was consistent with the size of the force in 2000. The rank and file included Chief Vitek, two Assistant Chiefs, three Captains, four Sergeants, three Detectives, one Juvenile Officer, one School Resource Officer and sixteen Patrol Officers.
After the retirement of an Assistant Chief in January 2006, the rank and file included the Chief, one Assistant Chief, three Captains, four Sergeants, three Detectives, one Juvenile Officer, one School Resource Officer and sixteen Patrol Officers. The civilian staff included the following: Chief’s Administrative Assistant, Records Manager, two Records Clerks, one Detective Secretary, and one Animal Control Officer. The 911 Dispatch Center consisted of one Communications Supervisor and nine Dispatchers.